Thursday 15 March 2012

roasted cauliflower soup

Ingerdients...

1 head of cauliflower, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2L chicken or vegetable stock
2 tbs fresh ginger, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp ground ginger
1tsp ground tumeric 
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 bay leaves
4 tbs butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375 F. Melt the butter then add the ground ginger, tumeric, cumin, cloves, salt, and pepper (as desired). Chop the cauliflower into medium sized florets and mix into the butter mixture. Put the cauliflower onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes. 

Meanwhile, heat a good sized soup pot at medium heat, add the oil and chopped onion, fresh garlic and ginger, and some salt and pepper. Once the cauliflower is done and the onions are translucent add together. Here is where I decide if I want more spice, usually I add some more tumeric and cumin. Add the stock and bay leaves and bring to a gentle boil, then let simmer for about 30 minutes to an hour. 

Next, you can leave the soup chunky, but I like to blend it a bit, if you have an emulsion blender you can use that or add half of the soup to a blender, blend and then add it back in. After I blend I like to let it simmer for another 10 minutes, then serve. Be sure to remove the bay leaves before blending. If it seems too thick you can add some milk or water, I prefer water, if you do add more liquid you'll want to simmer it for about 20 minutes longer.

Enjoy!

{so, I was too lazy to take a picture... shame on me.}



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers